Did you know that earthworms are some of the most important and useful animals? They are very important to human life and here is an experiment to see how they survive and why it is useful to us. Please handle the earthworms with care and make sure you do not harm them at all!
Here are the supplies you will need for your earthworm science project:
- A large and wide-mouthed, clear glass jar
- Gravel and small pebbles
- A tin can
- About 6 earthworms from your garden or anywhere you can find them
- Dark construction paper
- Sticky tape
- A camera
Now this is what you have to do:
- First of all, the camera is to take photos of your experiment, every step of the way as you go.
- Place the tin in the middle of the jar
- On the bottom of the jar place a layer of gravel and pebbles of about half an inch
- The layer of gravel and pebbles needs to be between the can and the glass of the jar
- Now you fill the jar with garden soil up to the height of the tin can and place the earthworms on top of this layer of soil
- Take the dark construction paper and wrap it around the jar to make sure you keep out all light.
- Secure the construction paper with the sticky tape to keep it in place
- Now you have to check the soil every now and again to see what happens
- Remember to replace the dark construction paper every time and of course you have to take a photo every time for your display
- The idea is to observe the behavior of the earthworms for a while and once you are done, you have to place them back safely in the garden, they are very precious
- Make very sure you do not harm them in any way
Now, why did you do this experiment or project and what did you see?
The earthworms feed on the soil by taking it through their bodies. In this way the worms form tunnels that aerate the soil. This aerated soil provides the plants with the oxygen they need to grow.
This is why they are such an important part of the animal world. Without the earthworms many plant species will not be able to survive and we will not have enough food.
The conclusion of our easy earthworm science project is that earthworms aerate the soil and is vital to plant life.
Source by Magrietha Du Plessis