The food we eat has a direct affect on the health of our body. A healthy diet that is rich in fresh vegetables, fruit and lean meat can make us feel good, full of life and bursting with vitality. A poor diet can make us feel tired, grumpy and eventually lead to serious health complications. The following are 6 ways in which eating a poor diet can have a detrimental effect on your health and well being.
1) If you eat a diet that is high in saturated fat, including high levels of sodium you can increase your risk of heart disease. Foods that fall into this category are red meats, processed and junk foods.
2) Your chances of having a child can be reduced by eating a diet that contains high levels of sugary foods, junk food, foods high in saturated fat and little to no fresh fruit and vegetables. A diet such as this, which is low in nutrients, can affect your fertility.
3) The food we eat can affect how we feel as well as how we look. A diet lacking in vitamins, nutrients and fibre can increase the risk of emotional problems that include mood swings, nervousness, and depression.
4) Certain minerals play a central role in maintaining the health of our bodies. One particular nutrient is calcium which helps to make our bones stronger. As we get older we need more calcium. A diet lacking in calcium can increase the risk of bone disease such as osteoporosis.
5) Diets that have low to no levels of fibre can increase your risk of certain cancers that include breast and colon cancer. To reduce this risk you should introduce high fibre foods into your diet such as whole grain foods that include wholegrain cereals. This should be done in conjunction with lowering the amount of saturated fat in your diet as well.
6) A diet that is lacking in vitamins and antioxidants can weaken the body’s immune system. The immune system protects us from infections such as cold and flu’s as well as the damaging effects of free radicals that attack the body’s cells. Certain vitamins cannot be produced by the body such as vitamin C and we need to take this and other nutrients every single day to boost our immune system so that it protects us effectively.
If you have any medical conditions or food allergies you should consult your doctor first before changing your diet.
Source by James Mako