Cause: Warts are caused by the human Papilloma viruses (HPV) of which there are more than 130 viruses in this group and which cause different types of warts. The most common areas for warts are the fingers, elbows, knees, and the bottoms of the feet. Some people are more susceptible to warts than others. Warts are contagious and are spread by contact with the virus.
Types of wart:
Flat warts are most common on the face, neck, hands, wrists and knees. These can occur in large numbers and are flesh colored, small smooth flattened warts.
Common warts — most common on hands and knees, raised with a roughened surface.
Filiform or digitate warts — These are thread or finger like warts. Most common on the face, especially near the lips and eyelids.
Plantar warts or verruca — are found on the soles of the feet. Hard, sometimes painful lumps, often with multiple black specks in the center, usually only found on pressure points of the feet. Verrucas or Plantar warts often make jumping, running, and even walking, uncomfortable. The tenderness can cause strain elsewhere in the body and affecting posture. A little wart can be a big problem. Prompt treatment before they spread will usually cure this.
Mosaic warts — commonly on the hands or soles of the feet forming a group of tightly clustered plantar-type warts.
Genital warts — a wart that occurs on the genitalia.
The Medical Profession use the following treatments for warts. Surgery: Chemical cautery: Candida injection: Electrodessication: Laser: Cryotherapy (Freezing)
There are a number of Home Treatments which are readily available. These include natural herbal, homeopathic and dietary remedies to treat the wart or to boost your immune system.
Over The Counter and Internet:
- Concentrated Salicylic Acid:
- Salicylic acid gel:
- Salicylic acid ointment:
- Adhesive pads treated with salicylic acid.
- Silver Nitrate in the form of a caustic pencil. Takes three to six daily treatments to be effective.
- Freezing, inexpensive home freezing kits are available using a Freon refrigerant. Not really suitable for small warts as can cause blistering of normal skin with excessive freezing.
- Tagamet which may be on prescription in some countries. How it works is not known. It is thought to alert the body to the wart by heightening the state of the immune system. It has been shown to be effective in the removal of warts, and seems to work better on flat planter warts than others. The highest success rate shown is 80% whilst ingesting 30mg/kg/day from 6-8 weeks.
- Natural Organic Oils
THE BENEFITS of home wart treatments are.
- No Professional fees.
- Low Cost.
- No traveling to appointments.
- Easy to use.
- Banana Skin.
- Aloe Vera.
- Lemon Oil.
- Dandelion Sap.
Just a few of the dozens of other treatments available. There is no scientific evidence available for these alternative treatments.
Prevention: The main line of defense is not to come into contact with the virus which is spread by physical contact.
Advice: This content is intended for general information only. Advice from a qualified health professional should be taken before applying any treatment.
Source by Kenneth D Riley